Mingma Sherpa sunbathing at C2
Back to Camp 2
11 May 2005
Strong winds overnight and this morning at Camp 1 dampened our desire to emerge before the sun. Deceptively clear skies invite one to climb high but the roar of winds above, like an express train, tell a different story. By 8.30am we were rolling to Camp 2, a familiar trip in the Western Cwm which took four hours. Notably we were wearing a lot more clothes than normal to ward off the effects of wind chill.
Yesterday enroute to Camp 1 Katrina twisted her knee. Unfortunately, this injury is serious enough to prevent her from climbing. Today Kat descended safely to BC with Luis. Katrina is philosophical and accepts that climbing Everest this season is no longer an option for her. We will certainly miss Kat on 'the hill' but will look forward to her charming company on our return to BC.
The weather forecast for the next week is for very strong winds aloft. This has the potential to delay the first summit attempts of the season until the final week of May. Adventure Consultants were never planning to be part of the first summit wave. Fingers crossed that the winds abate enabling folks to make a break for it soon.
Meanwhile our plan, winds permitting, is to head to Camp 3. Stay tuned....
Mike for the AC Team