Image: Puffy Robin - Looks Better Now Puffy Robin - Looks Better Now
Image: Scott & His Sherpanis Scott & His Sherpanis
Image: Scott Waves Goodbye Scott Waves Goodbye

Goodbye to Scott/Summit Plans Form
2 Nov, 05 - 13:41    
At breakfast, Robin came in looking like a chipmunk hoarding nuts for the winter (at least on one side of his face). Carl had told him the previous evening to expect to wake up to swelling, but we were kind of surprised at the extent of it. It should go down as the antibiotic kicks in. Right now it appears to be more of a nuisance than a worry, and there's no reason to believe he can't or shouldn't climb.

Shortly after breakfast, Scott left with his two sherpani porters (Nima & Dafhuti - sisters) carrying his gear. The team gave him a warm send-off. It's tough to make the decision Scott did.

Because of the tight tent space at camp 2, George has decided we'll climb in 2 groups.

Selecting which clients climb in which group really ended up being easy. Robin needs an extra rest day to let the antibiotics do their stuff,putting him in group 2, and Pat (one of our doctors) volunteered to stay back to monitor him - not that we expect any last-minute complications. Scott would have been in group 2 to give him an extra day of rest.

So the summit push for group 1 starts tomorrow, lead by Jeff and one of our climbing sherpas - Kami - with myself, Carl, and MG making up the rest of the team.

Group 2 (George, Ahn Passong, Robin, and Pat) will take an additional rest day and start up on the fourth.

Schedule for group 1 is:
Base Camp to Camp 1 - 11/03
Camp 1 to Camp 2 - 11/04
Camp 2 to Camp 3 - 11/05
Summit Day & Dn To 2 or 1 - 11/06
Back to Base Camp - 11/07

So the earliest you will get another dispatch from me will be the evening of 11/07, or the morning of 11/08 depending on how trashed I am.

Group 2's schedule is planned to be 1 day behind grouo 1's.

Previous Dispatches

Team Makes Foray Towards Camp 1   
Sleeping @ 19,000' after making a 4,000' jump is difficult at best. No one showed any ill effects, but it wasn't the most restful night for any of us. Robin had developed something of


10/31 - Trip to Camp 1 A Tough Haul   

We left base camp at 9:30, moved reasonably, and reached Advance Base Camp @ 12:30. Moved up to our cache @ 18,000' by 1:00.

We loaded our packs w/boots & crampons, and put on our har


The Quiet Before the Storm    30 Oct, 05 - 13:26
This morning we pulled together food & gear to be sent up by yak to Advance Base Camp (ABC). From ABC, our 2 climbing sherpas hefted most, if not all that gear to camp 1. Two trips per sherpa, a ya

Later dispatches - Previous dispatches